Description: Enjoy the challenge of transcribing materials into Braille for children and adults who are blind. With your help, children and adults who are blind can lead more productive and independent lives. Transcribe a variety of print materials in Braille such as textbooks, computer manuals, library books and other educational material. Transcribe in Braille short-term requests such as newsletters, children’s books, menus, and playbills. It’s a perfect opportunity for retirees or persons with time to volunteer at home.
• Adult (18 + Years)
• Certification by The Library of Congress will be required for this position.
• Must have a good working knowledge of braille
• A high school diploma or equivalent
• A resident of Milwaukee or Southeast Wisconsin
• Must own a PC and be have basic computer skills – experience with Windows and knowledge of basic file management
• A good knowledge of English
• Able to read standard size print
• Attention to detail and a “perfectionist” attitude
• Strong problem solving skills
• Long-term commitment (at least 12 months)
Time Commitment: This is an ongoing and long-term commitment. We ask a minimum of 8 hours per week, ongoing, with more time required if Library of Congress certification is necessary. Training: Certification by The Library of Congress will be required for this position. We can work with you to set this up if you already have a working knowledge of braille but are not yet certified. A transcriber commitment to ABLE after certification is an expectation. Location: At home, or at our office in the Central Library Building in downtown Milwaukee.